Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Any suggestions for a cheap and effective way to cool off my bedroom on hot summer nights?

I have no air conditioner in my apartment and my fan just blows around the hot air. I leave my bedroom window open at night too. I could never understand why during the winter nights, if you leave your window open, the cool air from the outside quickly replaces the hot air inside, while in the summer, the hot air inside is not quickly replaced by the cooler outside air. Why is that? Thanks!|||I use a dual-window fan. It's a fan specifically suited to fit in the window. It has two fans that can either be set to blow in or out. You can set both fans to blow in or out, or even have one blow in while the other blows out. This creates a circulation in the room.





You'll also want to put some dark curtains in the windows that receive direct sunlight. Your place heats up fast once the sunlight penetrates the windows and enters the room.





Here's a link for the fan. Lowe's also carries a cheaper model. See any homestore, Walmar, Target, Kohl's, etc.. near you for options:





http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=pr鈥?/a>|||hang a wet towel/cloth on the fan/window , so when air passes through it gets cooled off. also last summer i installed a small fountain just at an angle from the fan and when the water was flowing and the fan was on , the splatters of water automatically cooled the house.|||I put an ice pack in my pillow case|||Get a window unit, they make them more energy efficient, and they really do a good job. I would suggest looking for a quiet one though. Oh yea, They can be coastly at first. i payed 75 for mine, though that is not bad.|||No suggestion.|||Here are a few things that have worked for me, take a box fan and place it directly in the window pointing in. It will take the cooler air outside and blow it in. Another thing that can be a hassle, but really works, before bed put some cool water in your bathtub and dip your sheets in the water and wring them out before putting them on the bed damp, but the evaporation of the water really cools you down. I use a tub to dip sheets on campouts all the time, but a water proof mattress pad is highly recommended so the moisture doesn't get down inside your mattress.

No comments:

Post a Comment