Saturday, November 19, 2011

What cool effects can I give to my 35mm film before having it developed?

I bought a Polaroid camera yesterday at a little thrift shop that takes 35mm film. It's not a very cool vintage camera or anything, but it was $10 with four rolls of unused film, so i thought it might be fun to play with. I've done some experiments on disposable cameras that have turned out great, but I'm not sure what I can do to this one without breaking it. Any ideas?|||Hold sunglasses in front of the lens. Tumble dry a roll of film.|||Find a relatively optically good piece of glass that you can hold in front of the lens of the camera. You can then do things to the glass such as smear it with Vaseline and sprinkle dirt on it, or make scratches in the glass, or put a fine mist of brown paint on the glass, just whatever you can think of to get some different and interesting looks to your photos without ever touching a computer! It is always more fun and rewarding that way!



Be sure the film that came with the camera is C41 color process. If it is anything else, you will not be able to get it developed at any local quick type automated lab. The film will have to be sent out to a pro lab if it is anything other than C41 process. It will state on the film canister what type of film it is and process type.



steve



ADD: To the answerer above me. Yes, I have seen lots of little 35mm point and shoot Polaroid cameras. They were probably made by another company for Polaroid. I saw a purple one just the other day in our local Goodwill store.|||Aside from fogging the film by letting light into the camera, (very hit and miss) you can't do anything really to 35mm film, or any film for that matter, before having it developed, without the use of a darkroom... and when I say darkroom I mean absolutely no light must enter, not just a dark room.



I thought Polaroids were mostly instant films that didn't require lab processing... I guess I stand corrected.



EDIT: Thanks Steve, yes never actually seen a 35mm Polaroid. Had an instant camera back in the 80s though. Yes, of course you can shoot through tights (!) and use gels and other things to modify the shot, but without a darkroom you can't cyanotype or similar, and I wouldn't leave cross-processing to just any lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment