Tuesday, November 15, 2011

How do I keep my fish tank cool during the summer?

I'm about to upgrade my betta from a 1 gallon to a 15 gallon tank, (I'm getting a couple other fish too) and I was wondering, how do I keep it cool during the summer? Cause I mean heaters can't cool the water can they? It gets very hot where I live, in my room (where the fish tank is) it will get up to maybe 88F. What do I do?|||Your Betta is one lucky dude! He can handle the warmer water temperature, no need to be concerned. Do make sure he is not in front of a window though and only use his light at night when it isn't so warm, for an hour or two.





What fish are you planning to put with him?|||You could invest in a chiller. It regulates the temp and will keep it cool in the summer. I live in a very hot arid region and I had the same problem. My freshwater fish do fine and adjust to the heat (but they are in larger tanks so the flux isn't large as it would be in a smaller tank) but my coral suffered miserably and the first year I lost my clams and some deep water corals. I invested in a chiller for my reef tanks since I didn't want to lose any coral the next summer, and it worked great! They can get very expensive, but you might be able to find a cheaper one for your sized tank.





Don't do the ice cube thing unless you are home to constantly regulate it as the constant change in temp is worse for the fish than the heat. Also I would not run the lights during the day and ran them at night so as to not increase the temp during the day.|||If you're willing to spend the money - upwards of several hundred dollars, an aquarium chiller works well. A more frugal way is to use a fan and have it blow across the top of the water - this is usually the most effective non-chiller method.





You can also try lowering the ambient temperature of the room itself, leave the windows open, or use an air conditioner, etc.|||You'll have to get a cooler or chiller. It'll cool your water. Either that, or get an A/C machine for your house.





You could just keep the tank warmer so that the heat doesn't change the temperature much, but that'll reduce the oxygen in the water, which is especially bad for the other fish. Be sure to keep it out of the sunlight, especially if you don't get a chiller.|||You would not want a chiller for a small tank they cost Too much

No comments:

Post a Comment